© 2017 East Hoathly with Halland Parish Council | Designed by Caroline’s Creations Web Design | Privacy Policy

Welcome to East Hoathly with Halland Parish Council Website

East Hoathly with Halland Parish consists of two parts that have grown around the A22 London to Eastbourne main road. East Hoathly is a substantial village and Halland a smaller linear settlement, situated on the Low Weald of East Sussex. The current population of the parish is about 1,600 (Census of 2011). Halland House was the home of the famous Pelham family that produced two Prime Ministers, Henry Pelham who held the post in 1745 and 1754 and his elder brother, the Duke of Newcastle who was in office from 1757 to 1762. In 1891 the parish officially selected to name the settlement which had been known as the ‘Nursery’ as ‘Halland’.


The parish has been twinned with Juziers in France since 1995/6 when charters were signed in first Juziers then East Hoathly.  ‘Twinners’ have visited on an alternating basis ever since, with the exception of 2001 due to a foot and mouth outbreak in France. For more details, visit the Twinning Association website.


East Hoathly C.E. Primary School provides a hub for the young families of the village and is, since 2014, partnered with Chiddingly School as part of the ‘Pioneer Federation’. East Hoathly Parish Church has been part of a ‘United Benefice’ with Chiddingly Parish Church since 1983 and the two churches share ministry, services and resources.


The historic core of East Hoathly is a designated conservation area containing many listed buildings including the house of the famous Georgian Diarist Thomas Turner (1729–1793), the King’s Head Public House, built within Turner’s lifetime, and the Parish Church with a grade two listed, fifteenth century tower. Also of note are the Old Post Office Cottage and Sellens Cottages of 17th Century construction.


East Hoathly with Halland is renowned for several unique habitats with flora and fauna ranging from orchids to rare butterflies. Moat Wood (purchased by the parish and managed by the Woodlands Trust) has archaeological significance, possibly being an outpost hunting lodge in earlier times. The wood is ecologically important for, amongst other things, its black adders and nightingales.


The parish has a highly active community fully utilising its many clubs and making regular use of its three pubs, village hall and playing fields. The Cricket Club was founded in 1759. Of more recent vintage, the Bonfire Society leads a very colourful procession of similar societies through the parish every November on the Saturday preceding Remembrance Sunday; its proud motto being “Lest We Forget”.

About East Hoathly with Halland